Friday, October 3, 2008

We're being very industrious....

but I'm not painting. I've had enough! These ARE my holidays, dammit, and apart from that first weekend down in Brisbane,

and doing this on Sunday.....
all of my days have been spent simply slaving away. (My, aren't I dramatic!) So I decided I needed a break, I needed to be creative, I needed to look at something else other than walls or ceilings all the time. (Ceilings are a pain in the neck...hee hee.)

So instead I did some of this...

with some of this pretty material.

And it is for the new bedroom after all, so it does count. This is just a sneak preview, I'll show you the finished result soon (I hope).

And my helpful hubby was busy doing this for me (as his payoff for not painting).

I give him the plan, with rough measurements,

he obliges,

with some interference from me. ("No, cut that thing off there. No, I want it like this.") This is the plan for the shelves to go over the girls' beds for their favourite books and ornaments.

He made this as well, which is going to be a bench/storage box for the girls' to put their shoes in.

Yes, I'm lucky to have a husband whose handy with the tools (and patient with me). And I'll get back to painting that bedroom soon, I promise.

5 comments:

  1. You're so lucky to have a such a handy husband!! I can't wait to see all the results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Esther! I'm so happy you put yourself on my little thingy at Like Mother Like Daughter!

    I'm very excited to have someone read our blog from "down under"!

    And I look forward to seeing your quilt! Did you get a chance to look at our quilts? We have been doing so much painting in a rush before the cold weather that I haven't done anything in that department, alas. But soon it will be over, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are lucky to have a handy hubby! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love the little scalloped detailing on the bookshelves!!! Those are going to look so good! Talented hubby - great place to put away shoes - he does good work!

    I cannot wait to see what it is that you are making for your bedroom because those are the dreamiest cottage colors you've put together!! I'm in love with it and I don't even know what it is yet!

    And a super huge thank you for ordering a cookbook from Friends of George! You are so sweet, Esther! Have a wonderful day!...Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my - I can't wait to see all the finished results. That quilt will be beautiful, I can tell already. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy. Spread the love.

Get to know me

  • I love the smell of cinnamon and vanilla.
  • My favourite flowers are daisies.
  • My favourite trees are pine trees.
  • I always like to have the bickie jar full and a cake on the cake stand. I know...not that healthy, but so good to look at.
  • Autumn is my favourite month, although I do wish we had more of a change of colours up here in Queensland.
  • I love Anne of Green Gables and Laura Ingalls Wilder. They started my love affair with "old-fashioned" stuff.
  • I'm a boots and jeans kind of girl, but also love vintage skirts and dresses.
  • I like sewing and am in love with quilts at the moment.
  • I love reading. (I have a weakness for archeological thrillers and historical romances, but not Mills and Boon-type ones.)
  • I love old houses with character. No new estate houses for me. (Sorry Rosie.)
  • I love vintage/cottage/farmhouse decorating and pretty pinks and blues, with a splash of red for colour.
  • Polka dots can make me sigh with delight.
  • I have 4 chooks. They are MY pets. Another tick on my dream-come-true chart.
  • I don't eat dessert much any more. I'm not dieting, I just don't want it. (Does that mean I'm growing up if I say no to an icecream cone?)
  • I'll still always say yes to chocolate though!
  • I like to sit on the front stairs in the sun, to drink my morning cup of tea, while I contemplate what to do in the garden.
  • I've got the gardening bug again recently. It comes and goes with the weather. I'm envisioning cottage flowers in pink, blue and white to go with my green picket fence.