Monday, December 22, 2008
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Monday, December 15, 2008
Saturday, December 6, 2008
I'd like to be doing this even if I can't wear bikinis any more (damn, stretch marks) but I can't even muster up the energy to do anything except lay in bed and read the paper....and blog. But I deserve it. Usually my weekends are spent cleaning up that week's mess so I can be ready to start all over again on Monday, but now that I have 7 blissful weeks of holidays stretching out before me and all that time to catch up on housework, my urgency has left me.
And I'm still recovering from yesterday. We had our usual end-of-year staff party but after about an hour and a half I had to excuse myself, hurriedly drive home and flop down on my bed. It's been years since I've been properly, hug the toilet bowl, sick. It could have been the champers but I only had 2, okay...maybe 3 tiny glasses. But then I drink so little that one Strongbows can get me feeling light headed. Maybe it was something I ate or the Nurofen I had just taken. Fortunately the kids were at a friends house but when they came home and saw the condition I was in, they were great. They quickly got me a bowl and glass of iced water and a damp washer. Rosie even felt my forehead with the back of her hand and stroked my hair and kept coming back and giving me kisses and checking on me and Ella made dinner for the family. She would trot in and out of the bedroom asking things like "How much is a small tin of tomato paste?" "Just use about 3 or 4 dessertspoons." "Are they those big ones that you and Dad use to eat your cereal?" "Yes,dear."
I was well enough later to lay and watch the "Family Movie", a Friday night tradition that is so important that it needs to be spelt with capital letters. I knew they'd be disappointed if I didn't join in.
Mitch is down in Caloundra for his big fight tonight. He's fighting the horrible Matt Caltibiano again, but this time it's for the Australian Cruiserweight title. I'm confident that he's going to do well. It was too hard for me to get babysitting so that I could go too, but I'm kinda glad as the atmosphere was too nasty last time. But I told him to ring me the moment he could, so I know how he went. It would be nice to add an Australian belt to his two Queensland Title belts.
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
or a red colander, but not plastic.
Friday, November 28, 2008
This cookbook which has recipes from classic childrens literature including Famous Five fruitcake, with little snippets from each story it accompanies.
So Mitch, take your pick of all these wonderful presents that you so carefully thought up for me. And Joe, you sort of know my tastes, don't you. Anything vintagey or cottagey, in red or pastel for the kitchen or navy or blue or white is fine. I like spots too. (I'm just not really into the "country" thing with farm animals and cutesy dolls anymore.) I love the houses on these blogs that are all listed down the side if you need further inspiration.
Cherry Hill Cottage
Posy Gets Cosy
An Enchanted Cottage
Little Red House
At Home with MelMel
I hope this helps.
And a final thank you to all the random websites on the internet that I got my pictures from. I know I should probably credit them properly, but I'm lazy like that.
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Sunday, October 26, 2008
If anyone wants me to do a tutorial on making the fabric cover, just leave a comment asking. It's pretty straight forward though.
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
And here is my Grandma's old Singer sewing box which I now use to store my cutlery.
...and after. Hmmm, something's not quite right.
That's better. Although maybe I should paint the wicker white.
And there's nothing like a hair change.
.....and after. You like? I do.
Get to know me
- I love the smell of cinnamon and vanilla.
- My favourite flowers are daisies.
- My favourite trees are pine trees.
- I always like to have the bickie jar full and a cake on the cake stand. I know...not that healthy, but so good to look at.
- Autumn is my favourite month, although I do wish we had more of a change of colours up here in Queensland.
- I love Anne of Green Gables and Laura Ingalls Wilder. They started my love affair with "old-fashioned" stuff.
- I'm a boots and jeans kind of girl, but also love vintage skirts and dresses.
- I like sewing and am in love with quilts at the moment.
- I love reading. (I have a weakness for archeological thrillers and historical romances, but not Mills and Boon-type ones.)
- I love old houses with character. No new estate houses for me. (Sorry Rosie.)
- I love vintage/cottage/farmhouse decorating and pretty pinks and blues, with a splash of red for colour.
- Polka dots can make me sigh with delight.
- I have 4 chooks. They are MY pets. Another tick on my dream-come-true chart.
- I don't eat dessert much any more. I'm not dieting, I just don't want it. (Does that mean I'm growing up if I say no to an icecream cone?)
- I'll still always say yes to chocolate though!
- I like to sit on the front stairs in the sun, to drink my morning cup of tea, while I contemplate what to do in the garden.
- I've got the gardening bug again recently. It comes and goes with the weather. I'm envisioning cottage flowers in pink, blue and white to go with my green picket fence.