or this these holidays.
Sunday, September 28, 2008
or this these holidays.
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
and Dora the Explorers...
and farm animals...
and members of the French Court....
And then us!
We talked about going next year as the Von Trapp family (we used to refer to ourselves as the Von Crapp family...well, there are 9 kids but we don't sing) but it was already taken.
We started at the top of the Queen St Mall, where we got our clue sheet for where the checkpoints were and our first compulsory checkpoint we had to go to. It was...guess... the Story Bridge Climb headquarters....where we were yesterday with Mum. It's too far to walk so we had to catch a ferry....which was soooo slow... and then when we finally got to our stop...apparently WE were too slow...and the driver wouldn't let us off, along with about six other rompers. WHAT THE... So we had to get off at the next stop, 10 mins walk away. So it's taken us nearly an hour to get to our first checkpoint and we only have 4 hours to try and get to as many checkpoints out of 50 that we can. At each checkpoint, the girls got their passbook stamped and we had to try and solve a puzzle and then text the answer to the organisers and then they'd text back if we got it right or not and how many points we got.It was slow going at first, as the first 3 checkpoints were on that side of the river, with a lot of walking along the boardwalk. At Riverlife, we had to find a fish and text what was in it's tail.
The girls each won a $20 gift voucher for Myers, which they promptly spent on Littlest Pet Shops, of course.
Afterwards the girls and I went here...
to South Bank... a beach in the middle of the city...
so I could soak these tired little footsies.
(Don't look too closely at the ugly feet.)
And the girls had an impromptu swim in their clothes. Ella hopped in because she had her bunny outfit to change into afterwards, but Rosie needed a little encouragement.
OK, I confess, I pushed Rosie in. But you know she wanted to.
So who wants in for next year. I thought we could be called "Don't get your "hick"..ers in a knot" and go dressed like this.
I don't know whose photo this is but thank you anyway.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
and see my Mum and Dad again...
and my youngest nephew who is seven weeks old....
but we wanted to do something extra special for her. So we told her to bring along these comfortable shoes because...
One of Brisbane's landmarks, the Story Bridge. It was Veronika's idea and you've always been a bit of a daredevil, Mum.
A choc top and a sprinkle icecream please. Yum!
A big storm was coming and they weren't letting any more climbers go up by the time that you came back, so that was lucky that you got your turn. We couldn't stay for a BBQ at the park so we all went back to Bec and Mike's place where we shared sausages, salad, wine and conversation. Perfect! So you had a balloon ride at 50, a bridge climb at 60, what's next for 70?
Saturday, September 20, 2008
Here's a close-up of the material (and a bit of rust). Spotty for the edges and floral for the main.
I had a bit of left over material...what can I do with that? How about a cute banner for the tree above it. It needed some blue and pink in it though, to edge out that yellow. Why not some ol' cheapo shower curtains. $2.50 each. Thanks to Wendy at the Shabby Nest for the inspiration.
What do you think? Did the colours work? Is it just tacky to use plastic? Sometimes I love the lounge, other times I just not sure.
Get to know me
- I love the smell of cinnamon and vanilla.
- My favourite flowers are daisies.
- My favourite trees are pine trees.
- I always like to have the bickie jar full and a cake on the cake stand. I know...not that healthy, but so good to look at.
- Autumn is my favourite month, although I do wish we had more of a change of colours up here in Queensland.
- I love Anne of Green Gables and Laura Ingalls Wilder. They started my love affair with "old-fashioned" stuff.
- I'm a boots and jeans kind of girl, but also love vintage skirts and dresses.
- I like sewing and am in love with quilts at the moment.
- I love reading. (I have a weakness for archeological thrillers and historical romances, but not Mills and Boon-type ones.)
- I love old houses with character. No new estate houses for me. (Sorry Rosie.)
- I love vintage/cottage/farmhouse decorating and pretty pinks and blues, with a splash of red for colour.
- Polka dots can make me sigh with delight.
- I have 4 chooks. They are MY pets. Another tick on my dream-come-true chart.
- I don't eat dessert much any more. I'm not dieting, I just don't want it. (Does that mean I'm growing up if I say no to an icecream cone?)
- I'll still always say yes to chocolate though!
- I like to sit on the front stairs in the sun, to drink my morning cup of tea, while I contemplate what to do in the garden.
- I've got the gardening bug again recently. It comes and goes with the weather. I'm envisioning cottage flowers in pink, blue and white to go with my green picket fence.