Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A change is as good as a holiday.

I know, I've just come off my school break, so why would I be wanting another holiday so soon. Well, I never say no to a holiday or staying home but I'll have to wait a bit longer for that so this weekend, while I was meant to be cleaning, I did a little redecorating instead.

I've said a few times that while I love the muted colours of primitive decorating, I've been drawn lately to the prettiness of pastels. What to do, what to do? How am I going to incorporate the two. Well, I've decided that I could do my own version of Spring and "Fall" decorating. Decorate with the cosiness of reds and darker colours and prims in the cooler months, and in Spring and Summer use the lightness of white and pastels to cool the house. So down with the reds and up with the pinks.

Here is the "before" of my kitchen hutch...

and here is the pretty and feminine "after".

And a close-up.

(I asked Mitch what he thought and he hadn't even realised that I had changed anything. Obviously it's not high on his list of importance. I'm sure he's just wishing I tidied up instead. I will, hon, this just helps me get in the mood and makes it a little less like drudgery.)

A lot of my furniture and accessories in my house are dark blue which I love and don't want to change, but I think that it works ok with both colour palettes. Don't you?


Here is my kitchen island with my christmas wax burner thingy STILL out from last year. The green and red doesn't really go now.

Much better.

And here is my Grandma's old Singer sewing box which I now use to store my cutlery.

Before....

...and after. Hmmm, something's not quite right.

That's better. Although maybe I should paint the wicker white.


And there's nothing like a hair change.


Before....

.....and after. You like? I do.



11 comments:

  1. Good on ya hunby - it's beautiful 0 you're beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I like both - blonde and dark!!! Love the decorating. Talking about 'season' colours - went to Fuel last Sunday (youth outreach thingy) and they talked about seasons of life winter (dig deep into God, relax and renourish - that's me at this time REALLY need to stop and rest and am doing this for a few days at Tamborine), spring - new life, trying new things, stepping out; summer - seeing some of the harvest of life efforts; autumn - forget what that was for now. What season are you in. There was also a large youth group from Gympie at Fuel and I met Jenny - I think that was her name - she knew you anyway!.

    Love you
    Mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the changes! Your hair looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love what you did to your hutch! It looks just right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the change to your kitchen and especially the hair colour change. You look great, the darker colour changes your facial features and makes your eyes so blue. Its great to have a change every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)
    I love your kitchen hutch. I don't have one (nor space for one either) but I do love the bright flowered dishes. I have always secretly coveted those even though everyone tells me they are old-fashioned. I think they are pretty!
    You sound a bit like me, happy to reorganize but cleaning; yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous blog. Everything was like eye candy.

    Really like the hair!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great changes. The new hair colour brings out the blue of your eyes, very nice.
    Nothing like a change- you've given me the urge to dye my hair too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great changes you made. Truly, I really like them better. AND the hair color...WONDERFUL!!!

    You asked if that was a closet door I used as my craft table. No, it's just a cheap folding banquet table from Costco.

    Thanks for your kind comments.
    Mary Lou

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hutch looks wonderful and so does your new hairdo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yay!!! You told me changed your hair color and I absolutely love it. It really makes your eyes PoP! Looks great! Mine is gonna PiNk for Halloween. Just thought I'd do something funky for Halloween. We'll see how it turns out. I'll post pics when I get them. Take care!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy. Spread the love.

Get to know me

  • I love the smell of cinnamon and vanilla.
  • My favourite flowers are daisies.
  • My favourite trees are pine trees.
  • I always like to have the bickie jar full and a cake on the cake stand. I know...not that healthy, but so good to look at.
  • Autumn is my favourite month, although I do wish we had more of a change of colours up here in Queensland.
  • I love Anne of Green Gables and Laura Ingalls Wilder. They started my love affair with "old-fashioned" stuff.
  • I'm a boots and jeans kind of girl, but also love vintage skirts and dresses.
  • I like sewing and am in love with quilts at the moment.
  • I love reading. (I have a weakness for archeological thrillers and historical romances, but not Mills and Boon-type ones.)
  • I love old houses with character. No new estate houses for me. (Sorry Rosie.)
  • I love vintage/cottage/farmhouse decorating and pretty pinks and blues, with a splash of red for colour.
  • Polka dots can make me sigh with delight.
  • I have 4 chooks. They are MY pets. Another tick on my dream-come-true chart.
  • I don't eat dessert much any more. I'm not dieting, I just don't want it. (Does that mean I'm growing up if I say no to an icecream cone?)
  • I'll still always say yes to chocolate though!
  • I like to sit on the front stairs in the sun, to drink my morning cup of tea, while I contemplate what to do in the garden.
  • I've got the gardening bug again recently. It comes and goes with the weather. I'm envisioning cottage flowers in pink, blue and white to go with my green picket fence.