Sunday, September 14, 2008

Marhaba. Ana Ismi Ella.

This means "Good day. My name is Ella" in Arabic and it's how Ella greeted people on Thursday.

To tie in with the Olympic Games this term, Ella's class have been studying different countries, each focusing on a different one. Ella chose Egypt (well, she is a wannabe archeologist after all). To finish off, her class held a World Expo in the hall on Thursday, where they each had to do a display of their country and they had to present it to prospective tourists (Mums, Dads and other students).

Ella was really excited about this and raced home to draw pictures and plans of what to make, and lists of what she'd need. They actually had to do the project in pairs, but the other boy she was partnered up with left the school the week before. This meant that she had to do all the work by herself, but she was pleased because now she could do it all her way. She wanted to make little cork people and a cork mummy to go with her pyramids and wanted to make a 3D map which the other boy didn't want to do, and his family have a bit of a history of being a bit bossy and taking over. So my afternoons were spent helping her wrap corks up in material and cutting out cardboard and finding pictures on the internet.

****And I just want to point out that I am not one of those Mums that do everything for their child. It was all of Ella's ideas and research but she just needed help with the logistics of it all. It really annoys me to see an absolutely beautiful project supposedly done by the child and knowing that there's no way they could have done it themselves.****

So here's a photo of Ella in her Egyptian get-up. She really knew her information well and was quite confident in telling people about it. (She wanted to go as a man because "the women have to wear all those veils and things that cover up their faces. How annoying!"


The parents were asked to bring along a dish for their childs display. Ella chose Sweet Couscous Dessert (couscous cooked in fruit juice and rosewater essence, with almond meal and cinnamon) and Baked Sambusak (pastry filled with mince cooked with onion, pinenuts, nutmeg and mixed spice).

Another shot of Ella's desert scene.


Needless to say, Ella's display and knowledge got lots of positive comments, (and so did my cooking). I'm very proud of her enthusiasm, creative ideas and focus. Well done, Ella.

And on another topic, I just thought that I would share an easy but effective project to make for a present for a dad or grandpa. The girls made these ones for their Opa Nick (their great-grandfather) for Father's Day recently. They also made some for Mitch and for their Opa.

Just draw on some handkerchiefs with fabric crayons, then iron them. Easy to send in the mail, they will always get used and are a reminder of how loved they are. Mitch loves his.

1 comment:

  1. Holy Sphinx! Ella did a fabulous job! I, too, would have been just happy as a clam if my partner had backed out. I never liked working in groups--I guess it is a character flaw!

    Thank you for your comment today on my blog. Isn't it funny how we shy ones become attention hogs online? I'm sure there will be whole classes devoted to the psychology of mommy blogs in universities someday--if not already!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy. Spread the love.

Get to know me

  • I love the smell of cinnamon and vanilla.
  • My favourite flowers are daisies.
  • My favourite trees are pine trees.
  • I always like to have the bickie jar full and a cake on the cake stand. I know...not that healthy, but so good to look at.
  • Autumn is my favourite month, although I do wish we had more of a change of colours up here in Queensland.
  • I love Anne of Green Gables and Laura Ingalls Wilder. They started my love affair with "old-fashioned" stuff.
  • I'm a boots and jeans kind of girl, but also love vintage skirts and dresses.
  • I like sewing and am in love with quilts at the moment.
  • I love reading. (I have a weakness for archeological thrillers and historical romances, but not Mills and Boon-type ones.)
  • I love old houses with character. No new estate houses for me. (Sorry Rosie.)
  • I love vintage/cottage/farmhouse decorating and pretty pinks and blues, with a splash of red for colour.
  • Polka dots can make me sigh with delight.
  • I have 4 chooks. They are MY pets. Another tick on my dream-come-true chart.
  • I don't eat dessert much any more. I'm not dieting, I just don't want it. (Does that mean I'm growing up if I say no to an icecream cone?)
  • I'll still always say yes to chocolate though!
  • I like to sit on the front stairs in the sun, to drink my morning cup of tea, while I contemplate what to do in the garden.
  • I've got the gardening bug again recently. It comes and goes with the weather. I'm envisioning cottage flowers in pink, blue and white to go with my green picket fence.