Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Hail, the conquering hero!

Well, Mitch had his State titles for amateur boxing on the weekend, and as you can tell from the heading, he did very well. He won! So he's now considered the best in the state of Queensland for his size which is a cruiserweight. Here he is in a photo (sorry, the lighting is all wrong) with his "gold" medal. They are sending a belt to him later.



I know some of you might be thinking that boxing is a bit of a mugs sport but it (amateur boxing at least) isn't so bad. I was concerned until I saw his first fight at the beginning of the year, which reassured me. For one, they don't fight as long, usually three or four 1 1/2 to 2 minute rounds, so there is less chance for injury. And they wear protective head gear and it just doesn't seem as brutal as the professional fights that you see on TV, where they are getting the bejesus knocked out of them. Fortunately too, Mitch has dropped his weight right down from over 100 kg to 84kg, so he isn't fighting the big bruisers.

For those of you who don't know, Mitch's father was the Australian Welterweight champion in either '52 or '54 or something like that, and his father passed away last year. Sort of as a way of conecting with him, I think, Mitch started going to the boxing gym as a way to get fit, was offered a fight and it went from there.

I'm very proud of my hubby, for his dedication and perseverence, his fitness (I hate exercising) and his presence of mind in knowing what to do to look after himself so he doesn't get (too) hurt and picking his fights wisely. And I must admit, I like the manliness of knowing my husband could always protect me if he had to. I like my men strong and masculine (no, there's only one man but you get the picture.) But he can also be very gentle and sensitive and insightful when he needs to be. I love you, Mitch!

7 comments:

  1. Awww, what a sweet post... Congratulations, Mitch!!! ...Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Mitch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Esther,

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I think the whole boxing thing is hot! My hubby does sparring which is not as intense but still makes him strong and capable of kicking butt. Congratulations to your hubby!

    Brandee :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Esther.
    Thanks for stopping by for a cup of tea. It was so nice for you to leave a comment too. Congratulations to Mitch.
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Esther!! Thanks for leaving the post about my Mrs. B.. I'll be watching for the post on your kitties :)...Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. It's nice to meet you.

    What a fun post about your dear hubby!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy. Spread the love.

Get to know me

  • I love the smell of cinnamon and vanilla.
  • My favourite flowers are daisies.
  • My favourite trees are pine trees.
  • I always like to have the bickie jar full and a cake on the cake stand. I know...not that healthy, but so good to look at.
  • Autumn is my favourite month, although I do wish we had more of a change of colours up here in Queensland.
  • I love Anne of Green Gables and Laura Ingalls Wilder. They started my love affair with "old-fashioned" stuff.
  • I'm a boots and jeans kind of girl, but also love vintage skirts and dresses.
  • I like sewing and am in love with quilts at the moment.
  • I love reading. (I have a weakness for archeological thrillers and historical romances, but not Mills and Boon-type ones.)
  • I love old houses with character. No new estate houses for me. (Sorry Rosie.)
  • I love vintage/cottage/farmhouse decorating and pretty pinks and blues, with a splash of red for colour.
  • Polka dots can make me sigh with delight.
  • I have 4 chooks. They are MY pets. Another tick on my dream-come-true chart.
  • I don't eat dessert much any more. I'm not dieting, I just don't want it. (Does that mean I'm growing up if I say no to an icecream cone?)
  • I'll still always say yes to chocolate though!
  • I like to sit on the front stairs in the sun, to drink my morning cup of tea, while I contemplate what to do in the garden.
  • I've got the gardening bug again recently. It comes and goes with the weather. I'm envisioning cottage flowers in pink, blue and white to go with my green picket fence.