Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Decorating

I thought that it was about time that I posted some pictures of my Christmas decorations. Continuing my love affair with red (and white) I've made some easy rag balls to give an injection of colour and fun. I've stacked them in bowls...


and in this op shop basket, spray-painted white (spray paint is now my new best friend), tied with a jaunty gingham bow. Ignore that fly on the handle.


Here is my hutch, which since I lack a mantlepiece, is my favourite thing to dress up


And some close- ups of my favourite things.






A stitchery I made a few years ago, when I still had time to make things more involved than a rag ball.


And this cute vintage bird which my Mum generously let me have on the weekend. She used to have two and they used to be some of my favourite things to put on the tree.


I couldn't show you the rest of the tree, because it's a disgustingly cheap one and looks really threadbare with a big gap right in the middle. I thought about forking out the money for a you-beaut tree but can't bring myself to spend that much. So I decided that after this year, I'm going to go back to live ones, cut secretly from the side of the road. (Shhh, don't tell anyone.) I know they don't have the lovely symmetry of a fake one, but they have THAT smell. And THAT was one of my favourite parts of Christmas. When I would walk down the stairs to the lounge room and smell that piney scent...then I'd know that Christmas really was here.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely decorations, I also remember walking downstairs to that 'tree' smell! Wasn't it wonderful being a kid...
    Love Tracey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Visiting from SITS - I always like visiting the blog above me in the comments...

    am loving your blog!!! How cute is your home! That mantel is gorgeous!!! And the red/white combo is too cute!!!! (I had to laugh at the fly!)

    Will definitely be back! Hope you have a fantastic Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your decorations! Especially the rags balls... they're adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely home you have...just popped in to say hi!xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm coming round to red and white - in fact its getting to be an obsession!
    I think all your collection is gorgeous and your home looks wonderful all decorated up/

    Now isn't that vintage birdie ornament lovely. This year I'm going to be on the look out for vintage chrimbo ornaments when thrifting.

    LOL about pinching the chrimbo tree. sort of thing I do ;-) Mind you I would be the one who got caught. :-))

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy. Spread the love.

Get to know me

  • I love the smell of cinnamon and vanilla.
  • My favourite flowers are daisies.
  • My favourite trees are pine trees.
  • I always like to have the bickie jar full and a cake on the cake stand. I know...not that healthy, but so good to look at.
  • Autumn is my favourite month, although I do wish we had more of a change of colours up here in Queensland.
  • I love Anne of Green Gables and Laura Ingalls Wilder. They started my love affair with "old-fashioned" stuff.
  • I'm a boots and jeans kind of girl, but also love vintage skirts and dresses.
  • I like sewing and am in love with quilts at the moment.
  • I love reading. (I have a weakness for archeological thrillers and historical romances, but not Mills and Boon-type ones.)
  • I love old houses with character. No new estate houses for me. (Sorry Rosie.)
  • I love vintage/cottage/farmhouse decorating and pretty pinks and blues, with a splash of red for colour.
  • Polka dots can make me sigh with delight.
  • I have 4 chooks. They are MY pets. Another tick on my dream-come-true chart.
  • I don't eat dessert much any more. I'm not dieting, I just don't want it. (Does that mean I'm growing up if I say no to an icecream cone?)
  • I'll still always say yes to chocolate though!
  • I like to sit on the front stairs in the sun, to drink my morning cup of tea, while I contemplate what to do in the garden.
  • I've got the gardening bug again recently. It comes and goes with the weather. I'm envisioning cottage flowers in pink, blue and white to go with my green picket fence.