Friday, January 7, 2011

Rosie's Room is Done!

After long last, I put the final coats of paint on the sleepout last week and I've been painting furntiure and moving all of Rosie's things into the room. And seeing I love before and afters let me give you a short history of the sleepout.

This is what it looked like pre-cleaning and painting, when it was my sewing room. Neat, but look at those awful walls. Looking back, I can't believe that I lived with it for so long.


When we moved in, the floor was "carpeted" with fake grass. Beautiful.



That immediately went, but the floor below was painted green and covered with bumpy glue.


So in the meantime, we put down carpet from elsewhere in the house.


Rosie chose a really pretty pale spearmint for the walls. We were going to go for a shabby-chic look BUT halfway through Rosie decided that she wanted an Indian themed room instead. A darker green would have been better for this new look, but the paint was bought so we stuck with it...and it went well anyway as you'll see soon.

Walls painted...I now needed to tackle the floor. Paint stripper didn't work too well so I turned to my beloved hot air gun.

It wouldn't get all the glue off but rather spread it out, but that didn't matter too much as I just wanted it smooth enough to paint  white.

I LOVE white floors.



I painted the furniture a glossy black (which was Rosie's idea) and it holds the room together really well.

The bed was pine


The bedside table was white MDF from Aldi which was painted and papered
(I just used scrapbooking paper glued on with PVA and covered with two layers of clear varnish)


and the dresser was one I picked up for $15 from an Op shop which also got the black treatment and new glass handles.


I still have a desk to paint and paper and I'm making curtains out of saris bought online to add some more of the Indian feel, plus I was also going to add some picture frames painted black  and lined with Indian paper.

The furnishings and decorations were chosen by Rosie.





This has been such a fun project to put together and I'm amazed and so pleased by how well it turned out.
I think Rosie has an excellent eye for deisgn and has really sophisticated taste, especially for a 12 year old.

So again, before......


and after.

  
I'm joining in show and tell parties on The Shabby Nest and My Romantic Home.

13 comments:

  1. YEH! AWESOME! FABULOUS - both of you WELL DONE. Lot's of work but gosh it looks fabulous. So PROUD of you. thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the room looks awesome! you both certainly have some exquisite taste :) congrats! the hard work has paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful room Esther and Rosie. I will show the girls, I'm sure they will love the final result. Fantastic effort to the both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely transformation, and I think Rosie has most excellent taste for a young lady of her age.
    I read all your comments of getting to know you and we sound so similar even though I'm far away in New Hampshire, USA and old enough to be your mother. :*)
    Today was my first visit to your blog; I'll be back for more!

    Janay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! The black is a really nice touch, perfecto ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the wall color and the contrast of the dark furniture. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic makeover. It's lovely. The white floors bring in so much more light. Fake grass????? How funny! That's so lovely that you let your daughter choose the theme. I'd say she's done incredibly well - a designer in the making!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  8. really cool room for a 12 year old, not your typical pink frilly room. Both of you did great! Especially with that narrow layout.. I'm sure your daughter will have a fun time in her new room.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful. I love the lighter green in the room; I think it creates more of an air of roominess and will be more adaptable to future additions or changes. Good job! Lucky little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that room is amazing! I would love to live there!
    --Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What a great space and a terrific transformation~

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is awesome! I would've died to have this room when I was 12...... Or now. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a spectacular room! Love the windows, the color you painted... I'd want to hang out in there all day! Found you through The Shabby Nest!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy. Spread the love.

Get to know me

  • I love the smell of cinnamon and vanilla.
  • My favourite flowers are daisies.
  • My favourite trees are pine trees.
  • I always like to have the bickie jar full and a cake on the cake stand. I know...not that healthy, but so good to look at.
  • Autumn is my favourite month, although I do wish we had more of a change of colours up here in Queensland.
  • I love Anne of Green Gables and Laura Ingalls Wilder. They started my love affair with "old-fashioned" stuff.
  • I'm a boots and jeans kind of girl, but also love vintage skirts and dresses.
  • I like sewing and am in love with quilts at the moment.
  • I love reading. (I have a weakness for archeological thrillers and historical romances, but not Mills and Boon-type ones.)
  • I love old houses with character. No new estate houses for me. (Sorry Rosie.)
  • I love vintage/cottage/farmhouse decorating and pretty pinks and blues, with a splash of red for colour.
  • Polka dots can make me sigh with delight.
  • I have 4 chooks. They are MY pets. Another tick on my dream-come-true chart.
  • I don't eat dessert much any more. I'm not dieting, I just don't want it. (Does that mean I'm growing up if I say no to an icecream cone?)
  • I'll still always say yes to chocolate though!
  • I like to sit on the front stairs in the sun, to drink my morning cup of tea, while I contemplate what to do in the garden.
  • I've got the gardening bug again recently. It comes and goes with the weather. I'm envisioning cottage flowers in pink, blue and white to go with my green picket fence.